Thursday, 13 October 2016

Book Review | A Winter's Wish ♥ A New York Love Story

COUNTRYSIDE DREAMS #3
A Winter's Wish by Alice Ross
Genre: Women's Fiction
Publication Date: October 10th, 2016
Publishers: Carina UK
Rating:
Goodreads

Jumped right into the book, without any forethought, since my last visit to Buttersley was a pleasant one. The fabulous Christmassy cover piqued my interest even more. A WINTER'S WISH is the third instalment in Countryside Dreams series, written by Alice Ross. This festive book tells the story of four residents at Buttersley - a fictitious English village. Amelia has come to Buttersley from London to recover from a heartbreak, Stan is discontented with his family life devoid of love, Ella is infatuated with her boss's husband, and Phil is unsure about whether or not to leave Buttersley for Australia, where his girlfriend resides currently.

The author has created a simple, fast-paced and easy-to-read story of love, life and family in this book. Her writing is tinged with humour, which I found amusing at times. However, it didn't deliver any of that special "Buttersley Charms" this time, neither was it Christmassy as I anticipated. I expected the characters to fall in love with Buttersley and the locals. Instead, I watched them leaving the place without any hesitation. It was a tad disappointment, to be candid. Also, I pick up each festive book in the hope of getting into the mood for the festive season and this book was a tad let-down in that case. Nonetheless, A WINTER'S WISH is good, a quick chick-lit novel with  that can be enjoyed at any time.  The twists and turns at the end were unpredictable and joyous ones. And for me, revisiting a few characters was delightful. I urge you to give this book a try if you are one of those chick-lit lovers. You will find it pleasurable.

A New York Love Story by Cassie Rocca
Genre: Women's Fiction
Publication Date: October 1st, 2016
Publishers: Aria
Rating:
Goodreads

A NEW YORK LOVE STORY brought a big fat smile on my face. Brimming with the sweetness, love and cosiness, this book was a complete delight, like hot cocoa on a wintry day. This book centres around one of the tropes I've become a fan lately- a celebrity falling for an ordinary girl.  Actor Cade Harrison has come to a small town for a month, to celebrate the festive season away from all the business and gossips of Celebrity life. There he meets Clover O'Brian- his imprudent, proud and Christmas enthusiastic neighbour. He is taken by Clover's persona, despite her being an outspoken woman. The story revolves around them helping each other with the preparations for Christmas and them falling in love with each other.

Cassie Rocca's debut book is a perfect festive season book; of that kind that I wish to snuggle up with during the festive season, for it is sweet, warm and fuzzy to the point. The characters are cute and endearing, liked them both instantly; especially Clover, for she and I are Christmasholics. In this simple, easy-to-read and fast-paced book, the author has included a number of  lovey-dovey moments, one that makes you "aww" and "ooh", whilst reading. She has captured the affection fairly and readers can actually smell the love in the air. The festive settings cheered up the things even further for me and I ended up liking the story very much. I would have given it five stars, but the insta-love theme stopped me from doing so. I'm not a fan of that theme. Other than that, I don't have any gripe about this book, thus wholeheartedly recommend it to all.

Have you been reading Christmas books lately? Which is your favourite so far? Anticipating any book by your favourite author? 
LET'S CHAT!
 photo sig_zpsuzho4knp.png