July 02, 2016

Monthly Wrap-up : June

Time has just whooshed by! Already into the seventh month of the year and I feel like I haven't reached anywhere with my personal goals. The days are going to be hectic ahead, for certain. It doesn't mean that I will not be reading any books, but less of course. It also appears that my taste in reading has matured and widened, I am constantly hunting for rather diverse, serious and real-life related books nowadays. Suggest your favourite books, please. Because, I've also decided to stop running after the ARCs and start reading the remarkable works that I haven't read yet. (After all, we can never read all the books available in the world. Can we?).


In June, I did read 12 stories, including three children's fiction stories.

1. FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell
Cath, Levi, Wren and Reagen
Source: PINTEREST
I'm in love with this book!!! That says all, I suppose.

2. ALL I NEED IS YOU by Mukund Anand
All I Need is You
A debut novel by a young Indian. A typical love story without much to give or take. The writing is plain, which made the story sound flat till the end. Definitely, there were twists, but poorly executed ones. Not recommended!

3. SHE SWIPED RIGHT INTO MY HEART by Sudeep Nagarkar
She Swiped Right Into My Heart
Gross! I'm sure, I haven't attached the word 'Gross' with any book before, but this was definitely one of those. Eeew! Couldn't read it more than 15 pages, the pages were filled with filthy tricks. I'm looking forward to my next trip to the bookstore, so I can get rid of the book by exchanging for a good one. 

On a second thought, I wonder if students do live such a pathetic hostel life nowadays. The author must have done some research works, before putting them into his book. Anyhow, it's a NO from me and I don't want his books on my shelf either.  

4. PLAY DEAD by Angela Marsons
I rewarded this novel with FIVE SPARKLING GOLDEN STARS. Without a doubt, PLAY DEAD is an outstanding thriller from a talented writer. This dark, eery, gripping novel is one of the best crime fiction I have ever read, it's that one book I would thrust into the hands of every crime fiction fan and force to read. 

Saying that, I have also understood that thriller is not my cup of tea. The last two stories left me utterly devastated, I am happy with Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie and Dracula, but not these gruesome, evil murder stories. I'm kinda haunted by those tales. Should I read thrillers or not? I'm still contemplating on that... 

5. HOW TO FIND YOUR (FIRST) HUSBAND by Rosie Blake Perfect Summer Read! 
6. THE GIRL YOU LOST by Kathryn Croft A gripping thriller!
7. THE LITTLE VILLAGE BAKERY by Tilly Tennant A heart-warming story set in English Countryside.
8. A SUMMER OF SECRETS by Alice Ross A pleasant tale.
9. A FIERCE AND SUBTLE POISON by Samantha Mabry Failed to grab my attention due to the bad execution, despite the gorgeous writing style and the interesting plot.
10. THE MAGIC FISHBONE by Charles Dickens
Found a couple of short stories, written by none other than Charles Dickens, while browsing through one of the apps on my phone. 

The Magic Fishbone is the story of princess Alicia, who receives a magical fish-bone from the fairy godmother and waits for the right chance to use it. It's different from all princess tales I've read ever. The characters are portrayed as ordinary people, there is nothing grand or whimsical, but poverty and hardships. A typical Dickens story, in a nutshell. One of a kind. Children might not like it unless they are the extraordinary ones *winks*

11. TIGERS FOR DINNER by Ruskin Bond
GORGEOUS ILLUSTRATIONS, ADVENTUROUS TALES, AND RUSKIN BOND. UTTERLY BUTTERLY DELIGHTFUL!!!

12. GEORGE'S MARVELLOUS MEDICINE by Roald Dahl
Don't read this to your kid, if he/she is a naughty one. Because, they might concoct a potion the very next day for someone they hate, inspired by the George's marvellous medicine. An enjoyable story for everyone!

Have you read any of these books? Which is your favorite read  of the month ?  I would love to hear from you...

Happy Reading!
 photo sig_zpsuzho4knp.png