December 04, 2015

My Top Five Favorite Christmas Tales


It's the most wonderful time! 
Yes, it absolutely is! I love December and Christmas. I was anticipating for this month since the last Christmas. Finally, it's here. Yay!
The magic is in the air, Don't you feel it? 

Dear Bookworms, what are you reading this month? I have a pile of festive season novels in my shelf and in Kindle. But no time! I'm #currentlyreading I HEART CHRISTMAS by Lindsey Kelk. 

Today, I want to talk about my favorite Christmas tales; all those festive season stories I loved as a little girl. Do you have any? Here's my list.

The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry

The Gift of the Magi.jpgA Christmas story, which I have read a thousand times. Each time I read this, it softens my heart and fills with the warmth of the Christmas. A heart-touching story of true and unselfish love written by O. Henry. This story reminds that Christmas is the Season of Giving, rather than receiving. 
The magi, as you know, were wise men--wonderfully wise men--who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents. Being wise, their gifts were no doubt wise ones, possibly bearing the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house. But in a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. O all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. Everywhere they are wisest. They are the magi.
_________________________________________________________________________________ 

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

My favorite Christmas novella, written by none other than Charles Dickens. Mr. Scrooge and the Ghosts of Christmas are famous in the literature world. The story reminds us that it's never too late to change and be kind and love everyone. This will surely uplift the Christmas spirit in you and gift you the feeling of a Dickensian Christmas aka a perfect white Christmas. "You know what I mean?" Charles Dickens is known as the man who invented the idea of "White Christmas". 
“There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say,' returned the nephew. 'Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round -apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that- as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!”
_________________________________________________________________________________

St. Nicholas Stories


I vaguely remember two stories about St. Nicholas, who is aka Santa Clause or Mr. Kringle. One is about helping the father of three unmarried women. The father was in need of money for the dowry and St. Nicholas helped him by throwing the coins down the chimney whenever he was in need and once the money bag landed in the socks which were hung out to dry by the fireplace. The next one is about giving apples to hungry children. They found it by the window always but never found/knew the giver. Oh, I can hardly remember it. Know that I liked those stories.
_________________________________________________________________________________

The Elves and the Shoemaker by Grimm Brothers

It's a Christmas related story from Grimm's fairy tales. Two little dwarfs help a shoemaker to stitch the shoes. The shoemaker and wife thank them by gifting a shirt, a coat, a waistcoat, a pair of pantaloons and a pair of little shoes. The elves become happy, but never return to help the shoemaker. However, he was already rich enough to run the business. A magical fairy tale that would put a smile on your face.
_________________________________________________________________________________

The Nutcracker and the Mouse King by E. T. A. Hoffman

On a Christmas eve, Marie dreams of her nutcracker coming alive at the midnight and fighting a battle against the seven-headed mouse king. She throws her slippers at the mouse and rescues the nutcracker. She hears the story of her godparent's nephew's ill-fated story about how he turned into a nutcracker by the Mouse Queen. But Marie's love for the nutcracker breaks the curse, gets married off to Godparent's nephew and becomes the Queen of doll land at last. There is a wonderful Christmas background settings, gifts, magic, and a HEA. What else can you wish for on a Christmas eve? One of the wonderful stories related to Christmas, the wonderful time of the year.
_________________________________________________________________________________

SO, What are your favorite Christmas Stories? Have you read any of these? Do tell me. 
Season Greetings!


3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking it might be time for me to re-read A Christmas Carol this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gift of the Magi too - one of my very faves! :)

    ReplyDelete