Sunday, 15 November 2015

The Christmas Bake Off by Abby Clements

Author: Abby Clements
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Format: Kindle
Page Lenght: 25 Pages
Publication Date: November 20th, 2012
Publishers: Quercus
Goodreads
With Christmas just around the corner, the residents of Skipley village are gearing up for the annual bake off, and tensions are high.

Winning means a lot to everyone involved - talented cake-shop owner Katie dreams of baking stardom, Rachel wants to prove she's more than a stay-at-home mum, and John hopes his culinary skills will impress the woman he loves.

But when the judges discover that some cakes have been tampered with, the villagers' loyalties are called into question - whose ambition would stretch to sabotage, and why?

The Christmas Bake Off is an exclusive short story from Abby Clements, author of Meet Me Under the Mistletoe. This ebook edition also includes bonus recipes for cinnamon cookies and vanilla and almond biscuits.
Finally! I got to read a Abbey Clements book at last. I was beaming like the moon when I found a freebie copy on Amazon and couldn't wait to dive into it. There were a number of hyped titles at a discount and on freebie sections and I  managed to grab a few lots of them. I had to stash away the card to stop splurging. Yikes, The PERILS of BEING A BOOKWORM

I am addicted to books, which incorporates the love of baking along with heartwarming love stories. It's a two-in-one for me since it delights me with a pleasing novel and treats with some scrumptious recipes, two of the things I enjoy a lot. I was already over the moon to spot Abbey Clements's short story and the description tempted me more. I knew I would love it, even before jumping into it, for it was just my cup of tea.

What is it about?

The villagers of Skipley are excited about the annual Christmas Bake off, which will be co-judged by Joe Carmichael, famous for his Baking show on TV. To Katie, the owner of local cake shop and the winner of last year's Christmas Bake Off, it is an opportunity to be recognized by Joe, who promotes new talents. Rachel is jumpy about her Gingerbread house and winning the title, she has worked hard to prepare it. John, the owner of Skipley Hardware is also entering his Mint Cake to impress the woman, he loves. Bea sticks to her traditional Cinnamon star cookies. The table is laden with the delicious sweets, the villagers prepared overnight. And now, the judges have announced that two items are sabotaged by someone. What happens next?

My thoughts

I am awed! Who knew that a heartwarming story can be wrapped up in just 25 pages. Abbey Clements's riveting writing hooked me into the story from the first page. Everything sounded so lovely and lively, I was sad when the story ended, wished it to be longer. I was craving for sweets and was restless to do some baking after devouring this beautiful story, the descriptions made my mouth water; Chocolate Pistachio Yule log, Cinnamon Cookies, Hot Chocolate, Cake, Biscuits, mince pies, and Gingerbread house *Yum Yum Yum* The Christmas Bake Off will definitely make you do some Christmas baking, even if you are in no mood for it, I bet! 

The endearing characters made me smile- a heartfelt smile. The magic of the season was really working the wonders. Albeit they were on the brim of the nervousness, naught did stop them from helping each other. It's the story of a bunch of good-spirited people, who believed in giving and forgiving. Recommended if you like the novels of Sue Watson, Rebecca Raisin, and Alexandra Brown. 

It's free on Amazon Kindle now. A make-you-feel-good Christmas story cum baking recipes, are you buying it? 

My Rating: 4/5(Liked it!)
Happy Reading!