Monday, 30 November 2015

Review: Promises To Keep by Patricia Sands


Love in Provence #2
Author: Patricia Sands
Genre: Women's Fiction
Page Length: 226 Pages
Format: Kindle
Publication Date: October 13th, 2015
Publishers: Lake Union Publishing
Falling in love with the south of France was no surprise to Katherine. Choosing to walk away from her past and start over was completely unexpected. A new country, a new lover, and the promise of a bright future beginning in mid-life … who knew?

Now there were the exciting dreams of restoring the property on the Cap, of beginning a new career, of experiencing the traditions of Christmas in Provence, of falling even more deeply in love with the man who inspired these hopes.

It was all so perfect, until it wasn’t.

She had embraced new possibilities in life and given her heart only to discover something was being kept from her. Something terrible from her lover’s past. Something that could destroy everything.

What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger, had become her mantra. Would it be enough?
Blogging has helped me discover many authors, whose novels I have started to like and wait upon their new releases. Patricia Sands is one among them. I read The Promise of Provence, the first book in Love in Provence series, back in September. I have read a few novels, set in France. BUT this particular book always stood out, and will always be in my top recommendations for those who adore novels set in la France. Patricia Sands writing is unique, she puts so much passion, details, and emotions in her novel, which will literally take you away into her character's world and leave you with a story that tugs at your heart strings. I was happy for Katherine, the protagonist in the series when I bid goodbye to her last time, meeting Philippe had changed her life. You can read my review of The Promise of Provence here.

I was intrigued by the description of the Promises to Keep, the second book in the series, published on October 13th. Though I had it in my Kindle, it took me a while to get into this book. I was taken by surprise to see Katherine crying and leaving Philippe, wondered what had happened between them. The rest of the novel takes us through a flashback- to where the story ended last time and begins in Promises to Keep

Something from the past is haunting Philippe; they were chased by an SUV and narrowly escaped death, followed by an explosion in Philippe's store. He asks Katherine to return to Toronto, saying she would leave him anyway if he tells the secret. Meanwhile, she discovers a new passion, Photography and befriends Simone, a lonely aged woman, living near the property, Philippe has inherited, which they were planning to restore to start a new business. Philippe secret annoys Kat, she starts to doubt about trusting him. The remaining story focuses on Philippe telling the secret, how they tackle the situation together, Noel in Provence, and an unexpected ending.

The first few chapters give an idea about what has happened till now, brief descriptions about each character. It made reading the novel easier, it can also be helpful to those who haven't read the first book as well. Patricia has followed her unique writing style in this novel too; vivid descriptions and excellent details on the history, life, nature and culture of Southern France. I can't recall an another book, which enticed me to travel to France- to visit Provence, Antibes, and villages in the Southern France.

The main story revolves around Philippe's secret. He chooses not to reveal it to Katherine and asks her to patient till the moment comes. The troubles of the past start itching Katherine's mind, she becomes impatient as days pass by and begins to doubt about trusting Philippe completely. For a moment, I felt that Katherine didn't let her past go, thought she was dubious and uncomfortable for naught. But as I read more, Philippe's secret started getting on my nerves. I do hate it when partner keeps mum about something. I did want him to spill the beans soon, thinking what on earth can be this top secret. I waited on him to come clean. I was also as curious as Katherine to know it and turned the pages quickly. And when I learned it from Philippe, I understood why he was being hush-hush after all and empathized with him. I could have never imagined such a story, an unforeseeable one. I anticipated some actions and adventures in the following chapters, But there wasn't any. Anyhow, I am happy 'cause they were happy again at the end. Almost. Yes, Just when I thought, everything was going to be alright, the story takes an unexpected turn. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series, to know what happens next.

Katherine's new hobbies, Simone's secrets, and the villains made reading Promises to Keep enjoyable. A Provence Christmas was also there, really enjoyed reading all the traditions; especially the Christmas lunch, which includes seven dishes and thirteen desserts. And I was delighted to see Picasso again. To be frank, it wasn't neither Katherine nor Philippe, who came to mind at first, when I started reading it. But the adorable Pico. Happy to see him. And there was a new character this time, Victor Hugo. And Joe, Simone, David, and many more characters. I'm sure that everyone has a story to tell. Waiting for the next book to be out soon.

To sum up, this is the best book in the series so far, I really liked it. Recommended if you love a good, uplifting read and highly recommended if you love France.

Happy Reading!