August 25, 2015

Top Ten Books That Would Be On Your Syllabus If You Taught on Strong Women


Top Ten Tuesday Hosted @ The Broke and the Bookish

          Jane Eyre - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
“Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! - I have as much soul as you, - and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you!”
Katniss Everdeen - Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
"My spirit. This is a new thought. I’m not sure exactly what it means, but it suggests I’m a fighter. In a sort of brave way. It’s not as if I’m never friendly. Okay, maybe I don’t go around loving everybody I meet, maybe my smiles are hard to come by, but i do care for some people.”
Elizabeth Bennet - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
“There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.”
Anne Shirley - Anne of Green Gables series by Lucy Maud Montgomery
“It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.”
Sara Crewe - A little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
“Whatever comes," she said, "cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it.”
         Jo March - Little Women sereis by Louisa May Alcott
“Love Jo all your days, if you choose, but don't let it spoil you, for it's wicked to throw away so many good gifts because you can't have the one you want.”
Hellen Keller - The Story of My Life by Hellen Keller
“One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.”
Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
“I've found that there is always some beauty left -- in nature, sunshine, freedom, in yourself; these can all help you.” 
 Aibileen and Skeeter - The Help
"You is kind. You is smart. You is important.”
 Sayuri - Memoirs of a Geisha
“The heart dies a slow death, shedding each hope like leaves until one day there are none. No hopes. Nothing remains.”
What's your topic? 
Did you like my list? 
Who is your favorite female protagonist from the books and tell me why?

 Happy Reading!

18 comments:

  1. I chose fairytale retellings 101 ;)

    I love your idea though, strong women! You can never get enough! I have not read Jane Eyre yet but I'm definitely planning to! and Katniss - who wouldn't agree with you? I love Katniss. We're definitely also on the same page with Lizzie Bennett!
    And Aibeleen and Skeeter! It's been years since I read The Help!

    Great list!
    AmandaEmma @ Little Miss Reader
    My list: Top ten books that would be on my syllabus if I taught fairytale retellings 101

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda :)
      Jane Eyre is my favorite, this list would be incomplete without her. Hope you will enjoy reading it.

      Delete
  2. Awesome list for this week. I can never get enough strong women in my reading and I love the fact that you put Sara Crewe on your list. Great job :)

    My TTT https://jazminjade.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/top-ten-tuesday-fantasy-101/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Glad you agree with me on Sara Crewe :D.

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  3. This is an awesome list! I really really wish I could take a class like this. Anne Frank is one of my biggest inspirations in life and I feel like not enough people read her diary anymore, and it makes me really sad.

    My list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Franks's diary was actually a part of my syllabus. I have to read it again, it's been a long time.
      Glad you liked my list and thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Those are some great female characters!
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/08/top-ten-books-that-would-be-on-my.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Lois :D
      I will check out your list. Let me guess, Classics 101? ;)

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  5. So many of my fave female characters in this list - great topic for a class!! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and the lovely comment !

      Delete
  6. Oh my god this is basically the list of my favourite characters ever haha! (Well, plus real people too). I haven't read The Help, so my list would probably replace that with Celaena Sardothien ("She was the heir of fire, and she would bow to no one.") I seriously love the quotes you chose - I never used to pay attention to quotes, but since blogging they've really started to stand out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Elizabeth. I wish to read some of the Manga. Your list would be a great help.

      Delete
  7. I did Dystopia 101, so naturally The Hunger Games was on my list!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/top-ten-tuesday-19/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the way you did strong women as I know that great characters have inspired me personally in my life. And I love so many of your choices Anne Frank, Anne Shirley, Jo March, Sarah Crewe are all characters that I grew up with and have very strong feels for! Katniss of course is a must on any list of strong women. And I'd also add Hermoine as I love how clever and loyal she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Hermione Granger. I recently started reading Harry Potter series, that's why I did not include her. But, I agree with you, she is strong, brilliant and loyal too.

      Delete
  9. Oh man! I love this list so much. All of these women have been strong, literary heroines that I admire!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. KATNISS! Yes, so much yes, she is kind of my favorite :) Anne Frank and Helen Keller are phenomenal choices too! Very nice list!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete