July 30, 2015

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Written By   : J. K. Rowling
Published In : 1997
Genre           : Fantasy, Children's Literature, Fiction    
                        
Harry Potter thinks he is an ordinary boy - until he is rescued by an owl, taken to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, learns to play Quidditch and does battle in a deadly duel. The Reason: HARRY POTTER IS A WIZARD!

It's Magical!

You know what I am talking about...
A Harry Potter book doesn't need an introduction or a beautifully written review. Everyone has heard about it. Everybody loves it and has a million of Potterheads admiring it.

I waited so long to read this book. I have seen all the Harry Potter movies and became hesitant  about reading it. Knew that I was missing many stories and details all these years and was never able to actively participate in any of those HP discussions.

Finished off the first book in the series today and glad about that. It's a hundred times better than the movies. There were no difficulties imagining the characters and Hogwarts as the movies have given me a wonderful and enchanting visual treat on that case. But, you will see that there are a few differences between the movie and the book.

Reading it almost made me feel that I am just a Muggle who knows nothing about Hogwarts and Magic :). It's enthralling! Right now, I am kinda bewitched by the book; Carrier Owls, Three headed dog (Fluffy), Talking sorting hat, Moving and Disappearing photos, Vanishing clock, Quidditch, Dragons, Centaurs, Unicorns, Trolls, Goblins, Elixir of Life, Philosopher's stone, self-stirring Cauldrons, Magic Potions, Magic Spells, Hogwarts ... So much to think about! (No wonder why papa forbade me from reading it earlier! :P)

It was a great joy to read this. I love the trio, Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger. They are awesome! If you ask whom I like the most, then it is Ron. I always have a soft corner for him ;). He is Funny, childish, immature, selfless, brave ( played a brilliant chess game and was awarded fifty points) and the best friend you can ever have!

This book is totally worth the hype it has. It can literally take you to an another world where you would wish to spend the rest of your life and never come back. Am I becoming a potterhead? I doubt so. I liked that the novel is set in England. If you don't know, I am a crazy Anglophile. Now, I am more eager than ever to visit that place and to try tapping the walls on the street three times without anyone noticing it ;).

 My favorite part is last two chapters. It is packed with adventures, Hagrid's  three headed dog called Fluffy, Sprout's Devil Snares, Flitwick's flying keys, McGonagall's Chessmen, Snape's Fire Potions, Dumbledore's Mirror of Erised and a nail-biting climax too with the nefarious Voldemort. Really enjoyed it. I was happy as the Gryffindor team when they won the house cup, especially for Ron, who got a special mention from the great Albus Dumbledore and fifty points.

This book is filled with FUN. Grab it and read today itself if you haven't yet.


If I was at Hogwarts


The House I wish to be in : Gryffindor
Favorite Class : Transfiguartion by Professor McGonagall
Favorite Teacher : Minerva McGonagall
Favorite Spell : Locomotor Morise (Leg-Locker Curse)
I will befriend : Weasley brothers and Hargrid
I detest : Argus Filch and Mrs. Norris
A Place I wish to go always : The Library
A Place I wish never to goThe Forbidden Forrest
Owl/ Toad/ Rat : Owl 
Will I befriend the famous Harry Potter? Yes, of course! 

***

Friends, what will your answers be?
Which is your favorite part in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone?
Which book in the series did you like the most? Please tell me.

My Rating

Happy Reading!!!

1 comment: